Odyssey Logs

News from the Odyssey fleets - 3-5 Dec.

Sunday 3 December 2017

Krabat (Islands Odyssey)

Power generation

When sailing (with no engine use) for days on end the battery state of charge becomes a pre-occupation. Powering all the instruments (plotter, wind, depth, speed), VHF radio, AIS, lights, SSB radio, fresh water pump, Auto Pilot, Fridge, charging of Sat phone & iPads etc 24 hours a day, not to mention running the water maker for a couple of hours a day, takes a lot of power so the batteries need to be monitored and charged accordingly.

On Krabat we have six large solar panels mounted on the Bimini which, on bright sunny days (and provided they are not in shadow from the sails, radar etc), produce the bulk of our needs but, of course, they are only producing during the day time and, at this latitude, that is 12 hours a day.

The solar panels are supplemented by a hydro-generator (a device hung on the back of the boat with a propeller in the water) to produce power by the action of the boat moving through the water. It however, produces much less charging current than the solar but it’€™s big advantage is that it produces 24/7 so is great at keeping on top of things especially at night.

Between them, these two systems are generally capable of keeping up with our demands however what I didn’€™t expect was quite so much floating seaweed and this of course gets wrapped around the hydro-generator propeller rendering it ineffective (and also causing excessive vibration). I therefore have to lift it out of the water and clear the weed on a regular basis which is OK during the day but too risky at night so if there is a lot of weed at night I cannot deploy it at all.

We therefore have no battery charging at night so the batteries become pretty depleted by morning time. If this happens then we hope for a bright day so the solar panels can recover them to full/nearly full charge. On a dull day there maybe insufficient charge and I have to resort to running the engine for an hour or so but, so far, I have only had to do that once.

From www.sailblogs.com/member/krabat/

Lady Jane (Islands Odyssey)


Provisioning is positioned as one of the most difficult things to do prior to setting off on a long voyage. You are told to grease your eggs, sprout your veg, and stock up on treats. As Maria recounts below, provisioning a boat for an ocean crossing is something of a challenge and an ongoing opportunity for learning.

We are making good progress and are now 781 nautical miles from Barbados. The sun is shining, the chocolate melting, but the rest of the bananas are ripening.

Photo: untilthebuttermelts.com

Maria: One for the sailors or the bakers. It’s all about the provisioning.

At first I was quite excited at being in charge of the provisioning on Lady Jane. I’ve never previously been interested in the sailing side, but as I had taken to cooking since living in Singapore, I thought “I can do this one thing with ease”. And I like food.

I read lots of articles about provisioning to cross the Atlantic, but there wasn’t anything that really told you what to buy. They all talked about having treats for people on night watch and how meal times are what everyone looks forward to (no pressure to get it right then!), and how you need lots of things for a large crew – nothing about quantities for two or three people.

There were some recipe ideas but again for a large crew and written by people who had never suffered seasickness but thought that you could still sit on the floor in the galley and prepare vegetables. NB: people who really suffer with seasickness can’t do this!
The main theme seemed to be that “you must bake bread”.

Before we left Gosport I’d stocked up on the usual things, pasta, tins etc“, I’d filled the fridge and the freezer. Knowing that we would only be at sea for one or two days at a time, it was easy to plan: sandwiches for lunch, usually made before we set off, and a simple one-pot dinner .

We were to have six weeks in Santa Cruz, and I kept thinking I have plenty of time to stock up before we go and we can always provision when we get to Mindelo in Cape Verde. Until I was told “stock up here as Mindelo has limited resources”. This freaked me out a bit because I now had to plan for 3/4 weeks on board.

Allen stepped in and created a spreadsheet to help with buying and keeping track of where things were stored on the boat. It’s important to know where you’ve put the food.

The fresh provisioning was and still remains a bit hit and miss, mostly because you can’t see what is happening inside a vegetable or fruit. You may buy 30 bananas but they will ripen too soon or all together. We kept some out of the sun, inside the boat, I brought up a few at a time to lie in the sun to ripen. Seven days later the ones in the sun were still hard but turning brown and the rest of the ones inside the boat had all ripened!

Peppers and tomatoes will turn to a mushy mess before you know it. Even hard white cabbage will go mouldy in the heat. But you can only refrigerate so much.

On a positive note, potatoes keep well if in a dark cupboard. Marrow also stays fresh, even if parts of it are cut off and used.  Cucumber, lemons, limes and oranges also seem to be ok.

What will happen if your gas cooker fails, have you bought tinned food that you can eat cold?

I made a lasagne before we left Cape Verde and we had bought Chilli and bean/tuna stew from Simpatico restaurant in Mindelo, we also bought two pizzas from the pizza restaurant before we left. This proved to be a good move. It made mealtimes so much easier.

It’s also not about having lots of food on board. It’s about having lots of the right food on board. I am keeping a note of what foods we have eaten whilst on our crossing and what we have thrown away. And I’m maintaining a shopping list of what I want to buy the next time we find a shop!

Next time: what we actually bought and ate!

From untilthebuttermelts.com

Mariposa (Atlantic Odyssey)

German Zum Nachtessen gab es Linsen mit Gemüse und fangfrischen Wahoo, und einen Gurkensalat. Heute Abend ist Wahoo paniert in Kokosraspel geplant.

Die letzte Nacht war wieder mal was los! Wir hatten das Reff mit Wind von hinten eingebunden und hatten dabei das Gross Segel nicht wirklich gut durchgestreckt. Der obere Teil des Segels war immer viel zu stark in Bewegung, sodass wir keinen optimalen Vortrieb hatten.

Dazu kam dass wir dauernd Squals hatten, welche uns vielfach den Wind entzogen. Die Windrichtung hatte sich auch immer ein wenig geändert und wenn man vor dem Wind segelt brauchte es nicht viel dass die schweren Segel durch die Wellenbewegung zusammen fielen. Mit dem Vollmond hatten wir in dieser Nacht so viel Licht, dass wir an Deck arbeiten konnten ohne zusätzliche Beleuchtung. Wir kamen trotzdem einigermassen vorwärts, aber wir hatten dauernd etwas an den Segeln zu regulieren.

Nachts um 22 Uhr hatte mich Trudi geweckt, weil eine australische Yacht uns über Funk aufrief. Wie ich dann feststellte, waren wir ziemlich genau auf Kollisionskurs. Wir hatten den Kurs ein wenig geändert, und so begegneten wir uns in einem Abstand von vielleicht 100 Meter. Dass wir nach zwei Wochen segeln auf diesem riesigen Ozean mitten in der Nacht ein anderes Schiff auf ein paar Meter genau trafen ist schon erstaunlich.  Ist schon fast wie ein Sechser im Lotto. Obwohl mir ein Sechser im Lotto lieber wäre.

Am Morgen hatten wir dann die Segel geborgen, einige kleinen Korrekturen gemacht und dann alle Segel frisch gesetzt. Wir segeln nun schon seit Tagen wie unser Schiff heisst, mit Schmetterling Besegelung. Das heisst das Grosssegel ist auf der einen Seite, die Genua auf der anderen.

Obwohl wir die Genua nicht ausbaumen (mangels Baum) funktioniert es hervorragend. Wenn wir bei solch einem raumen Kurs die Genua auf der gleichen Seite wie das Grosssegel  haben, wird sie leider vom Grosssegel so stark abgedeckt, dass sie immer wieder in sich zusammenfällt. Nun laufen wir bei mässigem Wind zwischen 6 und 7 Knoten.

Der Himmel ist wieder leicht bewölkt aber es ist mit 27 Grad recht warm. Die warmen Decken sind nun endgültig verstaut und wir benützen nur noch eine leichte Sommerdecke zum Schlafen. Wir verbringen wieder viel Zeit mit lesen und herumhängen im Cockpit oder mit etwas Schlaf nachholen. 

Laut Wetterprognose sollten wir auf diesem Kurs über die nächsten Tage 15 bis 18 Knoten Wind haben, und wenn dies dann wirklich so ist, sind wir zufrieden. Wir hoffen dass uns die nächste Nacht nicht wieder so viele Squals ärgern und wir ein wenig mehr zum Schlafen kommen.

From www.sy-mariposa.ch

Rubicon (Islands Odyssey)

Vi är sååå himla trötta! Inatt fick jag stå 4h på mitt pass för att inte somna, så fort jag satte mig ner somnade jag, har aldrig varit med om något liknande tidigare. Det var precis som att trycka på en knapp, jag hade ingen kraft att hålla ögonen öppna, märkligt. Det rullar, och rullar, och rullar och rullar. Månen gjorde oss sällskap hela natten, den lyser som om det vore en lampa! Här är Sol, vind och vatten…. F.ö är allt bra ombord lite småstrul här och där, men vi lever ju på en båt, vem har sagt att det ska vara lätt? Marcus höjer stämningen med musik och sitt sällskap! Vi har nu plattlänsat över atlanten i över 2800 nm, helt otroligt… vi trodde ju att det skulle vara halvvind?? Vi har liten medström på 1,5 kn, tack för det. Inget napp, mera tång, inga delfiner eller valar, några enstaka fåglar och massor av flygfisk.

Translated to English by Google Translate:

We are so amazingly tired! Tonight I stand 4h at my passport in order not to fall asleep as soon as I sat down I fell asleep, never seen anything like it before. It was just as pressing a button, I had no power to keep your eyes open, strange. It rolls and rolls and rolls and rolls. Moon joined us throughout the night, it lights up as if it were a lamp! Here is the sun, wind and water ….

F.ö everything is fine on board småstrul little here and there, but we live on a boat, who said it would be easy? Marcus elevates mood with music and his company! We now plattlänsat over the Atlantic in over 2800 nm, unbelievable … we’d think it would be half the wind ??

We have small parallel flow of 1.5 kN, thanks for that. No dummy, more seaweed, no dolphins or whales, a few birds and lots of flying fish.

From syrubicon.wordpress.com

Triton (Atlantic Odyssey)

German Advent, Advent…

In Santa Cruz sind wir in der Fußgängerzone an einem Geschäft vorbeigelaufen, dass ausschließlich Weihnachtsdeko verkauft hat. Da ist mir dann klargeworden, dass wir die Adventszeit und Weihnachten auf dem Schiff verbringen werden und dass jetzt die letzte Gelegenheit ist, etwas für die entsprechende Stimmung an Bord zu tun. Also habe ich dort zugeschlagen.

Heute morgen konnte ich dann meine Deko-Tasche aktivieren und nun haben wir eine Tannen-Mistel-Girlande am Steuerrad und nette rote Sterne um den Kompass gewickelt. Nachher zum Kaffeetrinken gibt es dann noch eine rote Tischdecke, einen Plastik-Kranz (passend zur Girlande) und eine LED-Kerze… Allerdings finde ich es schwer, bei 33 Grad, Sonne, Wasser und Wind in Advents-Stimmung zu kommen. Von zuhause bekommen wir Meldungen über Temperaturen unter Null und sogar Schnee!

Bisher ist die Wärme für mich gut auszuhalten, denn ich sitze ja überwiegend ruhig im Schatten und es weht ein Bord ein leichter Wind. Der Wind, den ich hier merke ist der sogenannte „scheinbare” Wind. Er errechnet sich aus dem „wahren” Wind, der hier auf dem Meer weht und unserem Fahrtwind. Weil wir im Moment ziemlich genau vom wahren Wind wegfahren, wird der Fahrtwind abgezogen und das ergibt ein angenehmes Lüftchen an Bord. Unangenehm ist es unter Deck beim Kochen oder wenn der Motor läuft, der eine Arbeitstemperatur von 92 Grad hat.

Gestern Abend gab es auch wieder etwas zu feiern, denn wir haben den 40. Längengrad überquert und sind jetzt auf der zweiten Hälfte unserer Atlantikkarte angekommen, auf der schon unser Ziel Barbados zu sehen ist.

Jeden Mittag trage ich unsere Position auf der Karte ein und im Moment machen wir erfreuliche Fortschritte mit Etmalen von jeweils über 130 sm. Heute morgen haben wir eine Halse gefahren, dadurch kommen die Wellen jetzt wieder mehr von hinten und die Schaukelei ist nicht mehr so schlimm.

From coratriton.blogspot.de

Yuana (Atlantic Odyssey CV)

Continuous Cruising

So this is day 10 of what seems to become a 15 day journey across the Atlantic Ocean. We are two third through and there is still the long stretch of 700 nautical miles to go. It is almost as much as from Tenerife to Cape Verde. And guess what, I‘m not the only one who wishes that this could go on like that for a bit longer!

Well, let’s check this again after another three days. The sea rolls the boat quite a bit at times. So we even couldn’t think about the classical mid Atlantic swim. Glad we had our swimming and plunging a few days earlier when the winds were low.

One of the great things on board is that everybody enjoys a sweet water shower and hair wash every second day. The silky dry skin feeling would last for a couple of hours, before the salty air would take over again until the next shower.

There are two equally sized water tanks aboard Yuana. The upper tank is full and closed as a drinking water reserve during a long passage. This is a safety measure, should the water in the lower tank go bad, for example due to a malfunction of the water maker.

The lower tank is refilled with the water maker every second or third day. A water maker processes sea water into super clean demineralized water. We even use a mineralization and hardener station to enrich this water for drinking and easy rinsing of soap.

That water from the tank goes again through a coal filter. It removes any smells from water we would have taken in from marinas. So we have always perfectly clean and nice tasting drinking water available. The six of us consume up to 100 liters of fresh water per day for drinking and cooking, dishes, washing and body hygiene.

The water maker is the largest energy consumer aboard. To get 55 liters of fresh water per hour requires a high pressure water pump working at 56 bar. The electric motor for that pump consumes 38 Amps at 12V. That electric power is generated with the Diesel engine.

Conclusion is that we run quite a complicated process to turn oil into water. The one aboard who understands the whole system appreciates the showers even more;-).

Nautical miles during the crossing:
Day 10: 140 nm
Day 9: 147 nm

From yuana.life

Monday 4 December 2017

Krabat (Islands Odyssey)

The Admiral

We all know that the Captain is in charge on any boat, the duty of which lies on my shoulders on Krabat however the higher ranking officer is the Admiral.

Although often described as the 1st Mate, as on many yachts, in reality the 1st Mate is really the Admiral in disguise! I would just like to say a few words about the Admiral on Krabat……

She has and continues to do a fantastic job. The meals she conjurers up in the galley, often under arduous conditions with the boat rolling about all over the place, are second to none. We are now in our 11 day at sea and we have had a different imaginative meal every day not to mention fresh bread baked every other day and the occasional cake.

She is always attentive watching over me, especially if I have to go on deck, making sure I clip-on or reminding me to wear gloves when handling ropes etc. I ignored this advice on one occasion and paid the consequence as a rope slipped through my hands and caused nasty rope burns – I was in pain for several days!

She is always checking the sails making sure we are not over canvassed or at risk of gybing. Nothing ever flusters her, she takes what is dished up to us, in the way of weather etc, in her stride or if something goes wrong, she doesn’€™t panic but looks for solutions and makes suggestions in a calm and collected manner.

Like all of us, she may not like it at times when the seas are particularly lumpy but she still gets on with things that need to be done. Seeing her deal with the fish we catch, gutting and filleting the things wielding a 12 inch bladed filleting knife in the confined space on a boat which is rolling about, never ceases to amaze me!

She is tolerant if I get a bit agitated when things don’€™t go quite right.

 Moira is a great 1st Mate performing her duties fully and well BUT she is an even better Admiral keeping an eye on the Captain.

From www.sailblogs.com/member/krabat/

Lady Jane (Islands Odyssey)


Photo: untilthebuttermelts.com

That’s an odd looking wave I thought after looking over to my left to see where the noise was coming from. About 30 metres away, there appeared to be a dip in the water with steeper than usual waves surrounding it. Thinking nothing more than a ‘that’s interesting’, I was reaching for my book when the source of the strange waves and the dip in the water launched itself above water.

 It’s difficult to assess the size of the whale, but it’s a big fella and at least the length of Lady Jane.

Fortunately he came up for a second time – a little further away this time – and I was able to capture him on video. The image here is a snapshot from the video, so it probably isn’t the best quality.

I find it remarkable that these huge creatures can perform such incredible acrobatic feats and make it look effortless and so graceful. And it isn’t often you get something like that appearing outside your home.

We are now 642 miles from Barbados and all is whale.

From untilthebuttermelts.com

Mariposa (Atlantic Odyssey)

German Gestern genossen wir Wahoo mit Kokosraspel paniert, Reis und Kochbananen. War wirklich lecker. Vor dem Einnachten hatten wir wieder ein Reff ins Grosssegel gemacht und die Segel nach Backbord gelegt. Nun liefen wir mit guter Geschwindigkeit einen Kurs ein wenig mehr nach Norden.

Auch diese Nacht hatten wir wieder eine sehr nahe Begegnung mit einer englischen Yacht. Ich hatte den Kurs schon länger voraus ein wenig angepasst, so dass wir uns in einer angenehmen Distanz kreuzten.

Die restliche Zeit verging relativ entspannt. Manchmal hatte eine grössere Welle unser Schiff eingeholt und uns ein wenig durchgeschüttelt. Zwischendurch schlägt mal eine Welle zwischen die Rümpfe und das ist dann im Schiff  sehr laut.

Heute ist die zu segelnde Strecke unter 1000 Meilen gefallen. Wenn der Wind so bleibt kommen wir anständig vorwärts. Viel los ist zurzeit nicht.

Zum Nachtessen gibt es nochmals Fisch, und dann haben wir noch Fleisch für eine Mahlzeit. Danach werden wir auch mal ‚Gschwelti‘ oder Älplermagronen machen. Wir haben immer noch eine ansehnliche Menge an Gemüse und Früchte.

From www.sy-mariposa.ch

Rogue (Atlantic Odyssey CV)

Lots of weed around, like everyone else regular clearing of the fishing
lures, hydrogenerator and back downs to clear keel and rudder.

Running under polled out genoa, staysail and main for most of the way,
sometimes not touching the sails for days on end.

The last 2 days we have had very fickle and variable winds with rain and
were even going upwind for a while in a 10kt SW. So much for the trade

 After motoring slowly much of the last 2 days, we now have a 12kt NE
and about to give the motor a well earned break.

Havent done all that well in the fishing. Several mahi mahi landed and
one Marlin hooked and played for 30min but we couldnt get it aboard. Our
€25 second hand fishing rod and 50m of line just wasnt up to the task of
a 5ft angry marlin. The reel was almost melting on the final run and too
hot to touch. Have some good video of it jumping out of the water behind
the boat.

Saw a pod of pilot whales and had a mid atlantic swim off the back.

Half way party was great and we all danced under the disco ball well
into the night. 

Looking at making landfall early morning on Wednesday.

No problems to report so far.

Rubicon (Islands Odyssey)

Photo: syrubicon.wordpress.com

Utvilad! Guud så skönt, vi har alla kunnat få lite sömn i natt. Igår upptäckte vi att våra läskedrycker som legat i kölsvinet “poppat”. Vi har ju även förvarat konservburkar och vårt Jordan drouge där! Allting var en faslig sörja med en mix av saltvatten, coca cola, tonic och red bull, det luktade inte gott! Allting åkte ut och sköljdes så gott det gick i sötvatten, vårt drouge (=sjöankare, att använda för att bromsa båten om det stormar och vi surfar nerför vågorna) luktar fortfarande illa, så vi är inte sugna på att lägga tillbaka det innan vi fått det ordentligt rengjort på Barbados. Idag går det lite lagom sjö med en ganska lugn rullning (eller har vi vant oss?) vi gör god fart cirka 5,5-6,0 knop. Natten bjöd på en “supermåne” och luften är så fuktig så man tror det regnat. Dragen är i sjön så vi hoppas på fisk till middag.

Translated to English by Google Translate:

Well rested! Guud so nice, we were all able to get some sleep tonight.

Yesterday we discovered that our soft drinks that have been in the bilge “popped”. We have also kept our cans and Jordan drouge there! Everything was a dreadful mourn with a mix of salt water, coca cola, tonic and Red Bull, it did not smell good! Everything went out and rinsed as best we could in freshwater, our drouge (= sea anchor, use to slow the boat on the storms and we surf down the waves) still smells bad, so we are not eager to put it back before we got it properly cleaned in Barbados.

Today there are some moderately lake with a fairly quiet rolling (or we have become?) We make good speed around 5.5-6.0 knots.

The night offered a “super moon” and the air is so moist, so you think it rained. Features in the lake so we hope the fish for dinner.

From syrubicon.wordpress.com

Triton (Atlantic Odyssey)

German Schnelle Fahrt

Gestern Nachmittag um 15:00 Uhr haben wir den Parasailor gesetzt. Mittlerweile funktioniert das reibungslos. Dann muss er noch richtig eingestellt werden. Wir haben ausprobiert, dass er am besten steht, wenn das Groß gerefft wird, weil er dann im oberen Bereich freien Wind bekommt.

Je nach Wellenhöhe wird dann noch die Empfindlichkeit von Sir Henry ausgewählt. Ja, und danach haben wir das alles nicht mehr angefasst und ihn sogar nachts stehenlassen, denn der Vollmond ist so hell, dass wir genug sehen um ihn im Zweifelsfall bergen zu können.

Der Schwell kommt im Moment schräg von hinten, hebt unser Heck an und dann surfen wir die Welle hinunter. Es geht richtig flott voran – schön!

So haben wir gestern auch noch die magische „1000 sm bis zum Ziel” Marke erreicht und es fühlt sich jetzt an wie ein Countdown. Nach der schnellen Nacht steht jetzt schon eine 8 vorne!

Was ich auf jeden Fall schon sagen kann ist, dass sich meine Einstellung zu Entfernungen auf See total verändert hat. Als wir noch mit den Kindern auf der Ostsee unterwegs waren, haben wir uns Tagestouren von 20 – 30 sm ausgesucht. Das ist in der Ostsee kein Problem, weil es an jedem dicken Baum einen Hafen gibt. Das hat uns die Gelegenheit gegeben, die Kinder morgens zu „lüften”. An Bord gab es dann etwas zu essen und hoffentlich einen Mittagsschlaf, bevor wir dann Nachmittags wieder im Hafen angekommen sind und die Kinder wieder Auslauf hatten. Vielleicht 1-2 mal im Urlaub haben wir dann eine Nachtfahrt gemacht. Über 100 sm war da schon ein großes Stück.

In den letzten Jahen waren wir in der Nordsee und rund England unterwegs und dort waren 50-70 sm eher die normale Entfernung. Über den Kanal oder die Nordsee waren es dann schon mal 150 oder 200 sm, aber wir waren nie mehr als zwei Nächte auf See.

Auf dieser Reise habe ich dann bei dem Sprung über die Biskaya gemerkt, dass eigentlich erst ab den 3. Tag auf See die Gewöhnung an die Situation und Routine einsetzt. Das war auch die Strecke, vor der ich am meisten Respekt hatte. Die 500 sm von Lissabon nach Madeira waren dann schon nicht mehr so aufregend.

Daher hat auch eine Bemerkung von meinem Onkel Volker, selbst ein sehr erfahrener Segler, mir sehr geholfen, die Atlantiküberquerung einzuschätzen: „Atlantik? Das ist 5x nach Madeira!” Nun denke ich: nur noch 895 sm nach Barbados…

From coratriton.blogspot.de

Tuesday 5 December 2017

Lady Jane (Islands Odyssey)

Today is a blue sky day

Photo: untilthebuttermelts.com

Yesterday’s clouds have disappeared, allowing the power of the blazing sun to shine on Lady Jane’s ever-grateful solar panels. These are currently pouring 16 amps of power into the batteries and it isn’t even midday.

The hydrogenerator is adding another six amps to the cause. All this might sound geeky, but a reliable power supply is important to keep things running and the crew watered.

Our watermaker is doing well. We have full water tanks and are only part way through a 10 litre box of water that we have lashed to the saloon table so that the person off watch can refill their drinking bottle while lying down. Lazy? Of course – but luxury here is in short supply.

The sea around us is sapphire blue. There are no whales today, not yet anyway, but there are lots of flying fish skirting the waves, and the odd clump of seaweed floating by just beneath the surface.

The crew are sunbathing in the cockpit and all is good here onboard Lady Jane.
We recorded a 24 hour run of 152 miles at 0700 this morning, which is very good. And we are now 484 miles from Barbados.

From untilthebuttermelts.com

Rubicon (Islands Odyssey)

 Igår fick vi en tonfisk, så den ska jag göra något smaskigt med till middag. Sovit dåligt under natten pga rullningarna, men jag fick en sovstund nu på förmiddagen. Allting bra ombord och vi ser ljuset…. snart framme. Bara några dagar kvar…

Translated to English by Google Translate:

Yesterday we got a tuna, so I’ll make something yummy on with dinner. Slept badly during the night because of rollovers, but I got a nap this morning.

Everything is fine on board and we see the light …. almost there. Only a few days left …

From syrubicon.wordpress.com

Triton (Atlantic Odyssey)

German Dreamteam

Nun ist unser Parasailor schon fast 48 Stunden oben und es ist wirklich eine Freude, dem Zusammenspiel von unserer Triton, Sir Henry und Para (wie wir ihn jetzt liebevoll nennen) zu beobachten.

Anders als bei einem Spinnaker greifen die Schoten (Leinen zum Bewegen des Segels) nicht hinten am Schiff an, sondern laufen zur Mitte. Dazu kommt, dass das Segel durch die Matte nicht zur Seite zieht, sondern nach oben will. Zusätzlich haben wir die Fock noch ein Stück ausgerollt, einmal um zu verhindern, dass sich Para um das Vorstag wickelt, aber auch um das Boot wieder auf Kurs zu bringen, sollte es zu stark anluven wollen.

Zusammen mit unserem gemäßigten Langkiel führt das dazu, dass das System sich auch bei großen Wellen und Winddrehern selbst korrigiert. Wir haben nichts anderes zu tun, als aufzupassen, dass sich keine Scheuerstellen bilden, nach Squalls (fiesen Schauerböen mit heftigen Regen und Winddrehern) Ausschau zu halten und mit fettem Grinsen auf unsere Logge (Geschwindigkeitsmesser) zu schauen. Gerade hatten wir unser bisher bestes Etmal von 151 sm!

Das fette Grinsen könnte allerdings auch daher kommen, dass wir gefühlt ununterbrochen gegessen haben: Cous-Cous-Salat, frisch gebackenes Brot, Muffins und auch noch Schokoladenpudding mit Pfirsichen (danke Paul).

Da ist es vielleicht ganz gut, dass gestern – trotz des sehr schicken schwarz-goldenen Köders – kein Fisch angebissen hat. Wir waren auch so schon satt genug. Heute ist es extrem heiß (das Thermometer im Cockpit zeigt 36 Grad) und im Moment hat niemand Lust, sich an den Herd zu stellen.

So langsam merken wir auch, dass wir weiter nach Westen kommen, denn die Sonne geht jetzt immer später auf. Bei 360 Grad Erdumfang und 24 Stunden entsprechen 15 Grad Länge einer Stunde.

Wir haben uns entschieden, an Bord unsere Start-Zeitzone (UTC) beizubehalten und die Wachen einfach durchlaufen zu lassen. Barbados hat UTC -4, also ist es dort vier Stunden früher als an Bord (im Verhältnis zu Deutschland sind es -5 Stunden). So hatte beim Start Paul mit der Wache von 4:00 – 8:00 Uhr die Sonnenaufgangs-Wache. Mittlerweile hat sich das verschoben und Ralf, der ab 8:00 Uhr dran ist bekommt den Sonnenaufgang zu sehen (heute um 9:19 Uhr).

Wie wir von meinen Eltern hören (die jetzt nicht nur SMS sondern auch Satelliten-Mails schicken können – ich bin ganz stolz auf die beiden, die mit über 80 noch neue Kommunikationsmethoden lernen), wird das erste Schiff, die 22m lange SEA DRAGON, Barbados heute oder morgen erreichen.

Wir haben darauf verzichtet, uns jeden Tag die Positionen der anderen Schiffe per Mail schicken zu lassen, weil wir unsere Satelliten-Zeit sparen wollen, aber jetzt sind wir doch neugierig. Ich freue mich schon darauf, mir anzusehen, wer mit welcher Taktik gefahren ist und ob Schiffe aus unserer Gruppe einen außerplanmäßigen Tankstopp auf den Kapverden einlegen mussten.

From coratriton.blogspot.de

Yuana (Atlantic Odyssey CV)

German Die weisslich beleuchteten Wolkenfetzen am dunklen Himmel kündigen den baldigen Mondaufgang an. Bis dahin war die tropische Nacht finster, obwohl der Sonnenuntergang doch erst zwei Stunden zurückliegt. Der Wind bläst kräftig und gerade von hinten.

Die Segel stehen gut: Die Genua ist steuerbords gerefft ausgebaumt. Das Grosssegel steht backbords. Wir brausen mit 6-8 Knoten durch die Nacht. Wenn eine grössere Welle uns von hinten anschiebt, dann blitzen auch mal 9 Knoten im Display auf. Die Wellen ziehen unter dem Schiff durch.

Der Autopilot macht seine Arbeit gut. Er fährt das Schiff immer im selben Winkel zum Wind. Ändert der Wind seine Richtung, dann läuft das Schiff entsprechend mit. Einerseits müssen so die Segel nicht bei jeder leichten Winddrehung nachgetrimmt werden. Andererseits gehört der Windpilot auch zum Sicherheitsdispositiv: Würde das Schiff gerade auf Kurs fahren, so bliese der Wind nach einer starken Drehung früher oder später plötzlich aus der falschen Richtung. Dann schlüge buchstäblich das Grossegel auf die andere Seite hinüber, was ad extremis mit einem Mastbruch enden könnte.

Die runde Mondscheibe bringt endlich etwa Licht ins Dunkle. Gerne überlasse ich die ersten beiden Nachtwachen den Frauen und gehe schlafen.

Nachtwache heisst, dass jemand draussen im Cockpit sitzt und ab und zu rundum blickt. Ist der Wind nicht zu stark geworden? Man müsste durch Reffen die Segelfläche verkleinern. Stimmt der Kurs? Man müsste allenfalls korrigieren und die Segel nachtrimmen. Sind andere Schiffe in der Nähe? Man müsste deren Kurs verfolgen und gegebenenfalls das Ausweichen über Funk absprechen. Sind Squalls in der Nähe? Squalls sind tropische Ministürme von 0.5 -2 Meilen Durchmesser. Man müsste die Segel reffen oder besser noch ausweichen.

Nach etwa zwei Stunden Schlaf wache ich das erste mal auf, mittlerweile aus Angewohnheit und auch wegen der Wellen. Der Wind hat zugenommen und die Wellen sind stärker geworden. Die Kaffeetassen im Wandschrank klappern genauso wie das Glas mit den Instant-Kaffee. Wäre die Schiebe-Schranktüre nicht geschlossen, so würden Tassen und Teller rausfallen, einmal mehr.

Wie immer ziehe ich die Rettungsweste über und leine mich im Cockpit an. Ein Blick auf die Instrumente bestätigt die Wahrnehmung. Das Boot ist schnell unterwegs. Die Kräfte im Rig und auf der Ruderwelle sollten nicht viel weiter steigen. Daher rollen wir für den Rest der Nacht etwa einen Drittel des Grosssegels in den Mast ein. Yuana fährt nun immer noch zügig und vor allem aber stabiler.

Nach einer weiteren Stunde Schlaf bin ich an der Reihe mit der Wache. Der Mond steht ist bereits auf der anderen Seite des Himmelszeltes. Das Wasser glitzert im Mondesschein. Während einer Stunde steuere ich das Schiff von Hand in Richtung Mond, um dem Autopilot eine Ruhepause zu gönnen. Ein aufdringlich zappelndes Geräusch lässt meinen Blick auf das Deck schweifen. Ein fliegender Fisch will zurück ins Wasser befördert werden.

Mittlerweile ist es Morgens um sieben und immer noch dunkel. In den knapp zwei Wochen seit Mindelo haben wir drei Zeitzonen durchfahren. Dabei haben wir standhaft die Uhren nicht zurückgestellt, damit es abends länger hell bleibt. Hier draussen ist man also sogar alleiniger Herrscher über die Zeitzonen.

Die Nacht war genauso schnell wie der Tag davor. Rekord! Endlich ist die 150-Meilenmarke geknackt!

Etmal Tag 12: 155 Seemeilen
Etmal Tag 11: 144 Seemeilen

From yuana.life

Back to Top