Following a great deal of interest in the Pacific Odyssey for 2017, we are calling for interested boats to contact us if they would like to take part. As we did for 2016, if a minimum of 10 boats sign up, we will be able to organise the event.
In recent years the formalities and requirements for visiting the Galapagos Islands have become more and more complex and the charges to cruising yachts higher than anywhere else in the world. It has become increasingly obvious that cruising yachts are no longer welcome in the islands.
We have therefore decided to no longer include the Galapagos Islands on the Pacific Odyssey route. Instead, we offer an alternative to anyone still interested in the Pacific Odyssey by suggesting a direct route from Panama to the Marquesas.
The total distance is in fact shorter because sailing to the Marquesas via Galapagos is about 4000 miles, whereas sailing directly from Panama to the Marquesas is just over 3800 miles. Wind conditions on the direct route would be also more favourable.
For those who are interested in this alternative we have prepared a proposal that no longer includes a stop in Galapagos. Instead we have included a rich program of activities during a three week cruise in the Marquesas.
Those who still prefer to visit the Galapagos Islands, can transit the Panama Canal with our help as part of the Pacific Odyssey, and we shall give them details of our agent in Galapagos, so that they can make their own arrangements to stop in those islands.
However, if there is sufficient interest in visiting the Galapagos we shall consider offering that as an option as part of the rally.
Route and dates
|Rendezvous at Shelter Bay Marina (Panama)||1 March|
|All boats are inspected in accordance with the Pacific Odyssey Rules and Regulations||2-3 March|
|Panama Canal inspections and admeasurements||3-5 March|
|Panama Canal transits||6-10 March|
|Start of passages Panama to Hiva Oa island (Marquesas)||7-11 March|
|ETA Hiva Oa island||27 March-10 April|
|Ua Pou island
• Polynesian festivities
|Nuku Hiva island
• Welcome ceremony, arts & craft demonstrations
• Seminar about highlights of Tuamotus and Society Islands
• Visit to culture and history museum
• Folk music and dance show followed by a farewell dinner
• Optional island tours
• Visits to local schools and other local organisations
What is included
- Panama agency fees.
- General administration costs, collecting all necessary documents for the Panama Canal transit.
- Panama Canal inspection and insurance fees.
- Panama Canal transit fees and canal expenses including rental of additional fenders and mooring lines.
- Panama Canal emergency buffer deposit.
- The presence of the Pacific Odyssey event manager on location in Panama (1 – 12 March)
Panama to Marquesas
- Rally Control support throughout the event
- Tracking of individual boats throughout the event (for boats equipped with Iridium Extreme or Iridium Go – or purchase of a Delorme tracker, at cost price, from the organisers by those who do not possess Iridium equipment)
- The presence of the Pacific Odyssey event manager on location in Hiva Oa, Ua Pou and Nuku Hiva (25 March – 24 April)
- Events during the Marquesas cruise
If you are interested in taking part, please email: email@example.com and we will send more detailed information on the route and entry fees.